It was over the Christmas break after eating my own body weight in chocolate and turkey I realised that I had become lazy with my health. My headaches had increased, my back ached and I had a persistent cold that was having issues shifting.
Back in 2012 I lost a lot of weight and toned up thanks to slimming world and the gym, back then I had more time to devote to the gym and I was able to go to slimming world and follow their plans without any issues.
I guess it is always this time of year we all look at what we are doing to improve ourselves (or not). I think the hours I work put paid to quick trips to gym class and as a result I have had to use my own steam. Added to which a series of injuries during 2014 meant that I had to be careful with what activities I undertook.
Despite one or two anxiety wobbles I feel mentally fine so I wanted to make sure that the body followed.
My diet was pretty good, although I have to have a hot meal with the students, I have no control over these meals they are cooked for us and therefore I have no clue how much oil, cheese, butter or other fat would be in the dishes or whether the cuts of meat were lean. Most of the meals were with a sauce like curry or pies/pasty pastry filled with goodness knows what and cheese. These meals are lovely but I just wished every now and then I could just have a bowl of soup or a lean chicken dish or even just a bowl of chopped pineapple. The only thing I could control was the portion size but that is not always the answer. As I had to have this hot meal at work breakfast and lunch were my choice, I tend to go for cereal or porridge with soya milk for breakfast and something light for tea (if I was hungry).
I realised that it is not just the food situation thats the issue but its the movement too. My job means that I am on the go all day every day but it is not ideal exercise, although better than a desk bound job. I needed to step up the exercise once more.
I needed to look back to 2012 and see what worked and if I could replicate that again.
This is what I have decided for 2015:
- Try to avoid some of the school meals, maybe if I had my own food once or twice a week I would feel that I am back in control.
- Follow slimming world plan as much as possible when eating the lunches at work.
- Get back in the gym – swimming is my ideal activity so to start with that for the first few weeks.
- Once in a routine of exercise start C25K, this can be done in or out of the gym and as long as my knee and back hold out it should be ok.
- Walk outside as much as possible, if the weekend is busy make sure I get outside for fresh air and walking both days.
- When the weather becomes spring like back to juicing.
- Drink more water – I hope this would help with the headaches.
Some of the above tie in with my 2015 aims posted at the start of the year.
I will try and keep you posted on how well it is going.